The IRS Office of Appeals is an independent organization within the IRS that reviews and resolves tax disputes through an informal administrative process. In this webinar, BKD’s Director of Tax Controversy Services Kim Jones will provide an overview of the IRS administrative appeal process and describe 10 common mistakes to avoid when handling an administrative appeal. While this webinar will focus on tax audit appeals, much of the content also applies to administrative appeals of automatic penalty assessments and collection actions.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate the steps in the administrative appeal process
- Identify common errors to avoid when preparing a formal written protest
- Describe IRS Appeals policies against raising new issues or opening closed issues
- Recognize the circumstances in which Appeals may seek Examination review/comment on new information submitted during the appeal or return a case to Examination
- Explain the “hazards of litigation” settlement authority that is unique to Appeals
- Identify effective methods and strategies to present your case to Appeals