Assisting Healthcare Organizations With Improving Labor Force Productivity & Culture
Faced with increasing financial demands as well as the need for an efficient labor force, the capabilities of some healthcare organizations could significantly exceed demand. Regardless, patient care needs should not be compromised when determining staffing requirements. Productivity should be monitored, understood, and improved for continued financial success.
A 5 percent improvement in four departments—emergency, surgery, lab, and medical-surgical nursing unit—can help produce annualized cost savings in excess of $500,000 in a typical midsize community hospital.
BKD can conduct an assessment to help:
- Establish labor ratio and trends, including contract labor value
- Benchmark departmental staffing, activity, and overtime standards
- Conduct executive interviews to help prioritization for performance improvement
- Assess span of control
Powered by our BKD Analytics team, our BKD Workforce Productivity tool provides users the ability to develop reports to help identify improvement opportunities for labor or production based on leading practices and comparative benchmarks. We can help you:
- Develop a productivity culture with the management team
- Implement productivity improvement plans
- Develop monitoring tools