Simply Tax® Episode 126: Tax Legislative Halftime Report
Headlines are swirling in Washington, D.C., on a bipartisan infrastructure deal in the U.S. Senate and a $3.5 trillion budget reconciliation deal between Senate Democrats. Host Damien Martin cuts through the static of the latest tax-related developments with guest Travis Lucas, managing principal of The Lucas Law Firm, and also checks in with BKD partners Chris Doolittle and Randy Throener to hear how taxpayers are reacting and planning amid uncertainty. Listen for answers to these questions:
- How are taxpayers approaching planning with so much unknown at this point? @02:58
- Is the upcoming 2022 election playing a role in the current negotiations? @10:13
- What areas are colliding in Washington right now? @12:18
- Why is it important to count the votes—and what’s budget reconciliation again? @14:45
- How might the tight margins of control in the U.S. Congress impact the outcome? @16:57
- Where are we on possible higher capital gains rates and what are the odds of retroactive enactment? @22:14
Travis Lucas is the managing principal at The Lucas Law Firm. A former trial court judge and frequently retained legal counsel, Travis has built a nationally recognized practice assisting clients on many corporate, tax, estate planning, and asset protection law matters over the past twenty years. He is a practicing attorney for entrepreneurs, corporations, nonprofit organizations, executive officers, and board of director leadership, among others, on specific legal and public policy matters. He has quarterbacked numerous commercial transactions, drafted tax law provisions, negotiated and closed complex deals, drafted asset protection bulwarks and sophisticated estate planning vehicles, and counseled many small to blue-chip organizations on corporate legal compliance matters.
Travis is a frequent lecturer on the law and the public policy behind the law, speaking to various legal and nonlegal professional groups about twice a quarter, oftentimes presenting his lectures to hundreds at a time. He has been a teaching faculty member of the American Bar Association and Texas State Bar Association continuing legal education courses for practicing attorneys, in addition to teaching professional continuing education seminars for non-attorneys, ranging from corporate officers to physicians.
Chris Doolittle is a member of BKD National Manufacturing & Distribution Group and has more than 19 years of public accounting experience. He focuses on providing tax planning services to clients in the manufacturing, distribution, and service industries. He interprets the latest tax laws, helps clients reduce their tax liability, and provides guidance on the tax implications of business opportunities. He previously served as a national tax assistant director in BKD’s National Office in Springfield, Missouri, where he performed tax consultations with the firm’s offices and quality control reviews. He also contributed to various efficiency and quality control initiatives by developing standardized tax workpapers, engagement letters, and checklists.
Randy Throener is a member and the Nebraska leader of BKD National Commercial Services Group. He also works with the food and agribusiness team. He has more than 24 years of experience in public accounting, providing audit and consulting services to agribusiness corporations, cooperatives, and manufacturing and distribution entities. Prior to joining BKD, he worked as a controller for a private company, which provided insight into both external and management reporting objectives.
- Archived webinar: Planning for Tax Change: Tax & Investment Considerations for Individuals (June 10, 2021)
- Episodes of the Simply Tax® podcast:
- Episode 69: Tax Reform Insights for Manufacturers & Distributors (August 13, 2019)
- Episode 123: Planning for Individual Tax Change in 2021 (May 13, 2021)
- Article: Examining the American Families Plan: Key Provisions for High-Income Americans (April 30, 2021)
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our YouTube channel.