Simply Tax® Episode 108: Why You Should Work in Tax
Why would anyone want to work in tax? Find out as guest Kent Klaus, a senior instructor at DePaul University, joins host Damien Martin to share insights from practicing and teaching in tax. Here’s what’s covered:
- How Kent Klaus came to teach @01:29
- The opportunities of a career in tax @05:26
- Becoming a subject matter expert and how to find your area @08:11
- Damien’s path to a career in tax @17:55
- Advice for those considering a career in accounting @20:55
- How Damien came to host a podcast @26:33
- Online courses can be a more rewarding experience than in-person classes @37:35
- Tips for learning in a remote environment @40:16
- Advice for students and those starting a tax career amid a pandemic and beyond @46:24
- Tips for virtual interviews @50:08
- Finding a mentor in a virtual environment @55:18
BIO FOR GUEST
Kent Klaus is a faculty member of the Driehaus College of Business at DePaul University. In addition to his full-time teaching responsibilities, he also is a member of the Dean’s Advisory Council and helps lead the Office of Student Success & Engagement within the School of Accountancy & MIS. Kent is a recently retired partner at Deloitte, where he was a leader of the Global Employer Services (GES) practice in Chicago. In addition to his client activities, Kent oversaw the quality and risk management efforts for Deloitte’s GES practice and was a national technical resource to other practice personnel. Prior to joining Deloitte, he was a partner in the Chicago-based firm Arthur Andersen.
Kent serves on several nonprofit boards, including the Chicago chapter of Disability: IN, ADA 25 Advancing Leadership, CPA Endowment Fund of Illinois, and Access Living. He has served as an officer of most of these organizations, including past president of the CPA Endowment Fund.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
- More from Simply Tax®
- Article: The Power of Mentoring by Kent Klaus
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our YouTube channel.