Simply Tax® Episode 107: The Latest SALT Developments
Guests Mary Reiser and Jana Gradeva join host Damien Martin to unpack state and local tax (SALT) developments and discuss areas you should focus on amid an uncertain and rapidly changing environment. Here’s what’s covered:
- How state and local jurisdictions generally apportion a taxpayer’s employment income @ 01:53
- What role does payroll play in apportionment formulas for businesses? @ 10:57
- Sales tax considerations for telecommuting @ 13:17
- How have states responded to the many employees working remotely due to the pandemic, and what are the related implications for remote employees? @ 14:08
- What are the state and local considerations of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) provisions? @ 16:21
- Now that we’re a little more than two years in since the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. (Wayfair), how have states responded? @ 25:04
- Marketplace facilitator rules @ 31:25
- Audits after Wayfair @ 35:36
- What should taxpayers and their advisors focus on now from an income tax perspective? @ 41:05
- How Wayfair has impacted mergers and acquisitions @ 47:00
- “It depends and it’s changing all of the time” @ 50:11
BIO FOR GUEST
Mary Reiser is a member of BKD’s State & Local Tax Services division. Mary focuses on compliance and consulting for various SALT issues involving multistate entities, including audit defense, nexus analysis, voluntary disclosure, and buy- and sell-side due diligence. Her primary experience is in the areas of income and franchise tax and sales and use tax.
Jana Gradeva also is a member of BKD’s State and Local Tax Services division. Jana has worked on multistate SALT projects, including audit defense, managed audits, tax planning and strategy, reverse audits, tax recoveries, and voluntary disclosure agreements. She is responsible for developing and implementing sales tax savings opportunities.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
- More on the impacts of COVID-19
- More on Wayfair
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our YouTube channel.