Simply Tax® Episode 102: Accounting for Diversity & Inclusion Part II
BKD partners Rachel Dwiggins and JoAnna Simek join host Damien Martin to continue a conversation on diversity, equity, and inclusion and share their experiences as women in the accounting profession. Here’s what’s covered:
- Experiencing the 2019 AICPA Women's Global Leadership Summit (Summit) @01:14
- Being the only woman in the room @03:24
- Creating a more inclusive conversation @06:03
- Key takeaways from the Summit @07:42
- BKD’s SKY initiative @12:41
- Unconscious bias @14:04
- Mentorship and sponsorship @17:01
- Are you participating in the right meetings? @23:27
- Gender and parenting @32:21
BIO FOR GUEST
JoAnna Simek is a partner in BKD’s Chicago practice. As a member of BKD National Manufacturing & Distribution Group, she provides consulting and tax services for corporations, individuals, and flow-through entities across a variety of industries with a focus on technology and software companies as well as food processors and distributors. In addition, she consults with clients on tax planning opportunities and risk mitigation strategies. JoAnna is a member of the Chicago BKD Foundation committee and BKD’s SKY Advisory Council.
Rachel Dwiggins is the managing partner of BKD’s Kansas City practice. As a member of BKD National Not-for-Profit Group, BKD National Public Sector Group, and BKD National Higher Education Group, Rachel provides audit and consulting services for not-for-profit and governmental organizations, colleges, universities, and charitable organizations. She is experienced with Single Audit requirements, including student financial assistance, and has been designated as one of BKD’s top Single Audit reviewers. Rachel also has served as a principal instructor for the firm’s annual government and not-for-profit accounting and auditing new in-charge training.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
- Simply Tax® Looking Back & Looking Forward Series:
- Episode 101: Accounting for Diversity & Inclusion Part I with Trisha Daho
- Episode 100: Looking Back & Looking Forward with Sam Allred, Jeremy Clopton, and Heath Alloway
- Learn more about BKD’s SKY Initiative
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX®
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our YouTube channel.