SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
Guests Emily Kembell and Gretchen Cliburn recently met host Damien Martin for lunch, where they got to talking about the often intimidating subject of estate planning. Listen to their follow-up conversation to get practical tips on approaching the complex world of estate planning within the context of the complex emotional realities of life.
TIME STAMPS OF WHAT’S COVERED
- Estate planning? @3:32
- Common estate planning myths @4:34
- Key definitions @5:41
- Why does your financial planner need to know about your estate plan? @8:17
- Working with an estate planning attorney versus using an online service @11:05
- No one wants to talk about their death @13:51
- The cost of doing nothing @15:13
- Why you need a team of advisors @16:38
- Getting ready for an initial meeting @24:11
- When and how frequently do you need an estate planning checkup? @26:50
- Advice for getting started @30:00
- It’s not your job to know all the answers @31:50
- Get all your advisors involved @33:52
- Pay now or pay later @34:59
- Ways to save money on estate planning @35:50
- A lunch conversation between your financial advisor and your estate planning attorney @37:44
- Asking the “what ifs” @42:14
- Asset protection planning @43:56
- You can change your plan @45:41
- Deciding on a guardian for minor children @46:54
- Dividing an estate when you have a family business @49:08
- Having a multigenerational conversation @53:37
- Family disharmony after you’re gone @55:58
- The best day to have an estate planning conversation @59:27
BIO FOR GUEST
Emily Kembell is a partner in the Springfield, Missouri, office of Kirkland Woods & Martinsen LLP. Emily focuses her practice on estate planning of all types, trust and probate administration, transfer tax planning, issues relating to business succession planning and adult and minor guardianships.
Connect with Emily on LinkedIn
Gretchen Cliburn is a director at BKD Wealth Advisors in Springfield, Missouri. Gretchen is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®) and a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst® (CDFA™) and coordinates investment management with tax, retirement, financial education and estate planning
Connect with Gretchen on LinkedIn
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPSIODE
Previous episodes of the “Simply Tax” podcast mentioned during the episode:
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX™
We’re excited to also provide video content to strengthen your tax mind! Check it out on our YouTube channel.
A complete archive of our episodes is available on our website and YouTube playlist.
We’d love to hear from you! Email feedback and questions to SimplyTax@bkd.com.
Connect with Damien on social media!
LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube