SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
The confluence of all of the changes under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) paired with the complexities of the existing tax law make tax planning and compliance more challenging for many high-net-worth individuals and families. Tune in to hear how tax and wealth transfer planning has changed under the TCJA as host Damien Martin sits down with guests Steve Bigge, Chris Hesse and Marv Hills to discuss key takeaways from a joint tax planning symposium held between BKD, CliftonLarsonAllen, Crowe and Keebler & Associates.
Here’s a look at what’s inside our latest episode:
• Background on the Tax Planning for High Net Worth Symposium @ 03:34
• Marital deduction formulas and funding @ 07:54
• Roth conversion planning after the TCJA @ 09:46
• Unwinding “bad” estate planning @ 10:20
• Break points on income tax and managing taxable income @ 13:01
• Charitable giving after the TCJA @ 14:51
• Social security planning @ 16:52
• Format of the symposium and the “ah ha” moments @ 17:59
• Elect out of bonus depreciation and use Internal Revenue Code §179 expensing @ 19:23
• Small business taxpayers after the TCJA @ 20:28
• Will the increased estate tax exemption stay? @ 22:08
• Planning with Spousal Lifetime Access Trust @ 26:15
BIO FOR GUEST
Steve Bigge is a partner with Keebler & Associates, LLP, whose emphasis is in developing comprehensive financial, estate and income tax analyses and wealth transfer techniques, including FLP, GRATS, CRTs, ILITs and IDGTs. He specializes in estate, gift and retirement planning, charitable gift planning and trust and estate administration.
Connect with Steve on LinkedIn
Chris Hesse is a principal in CliftonLarsonAllen’s National Tax Office and has more than 35 years of tax experience in public accounting, with more than 30 years of speaking and training experience before tax professionals. His career has included tax leadership of a 200-person practice and extensive tax writing and analysis services.
Connect with Chris on LinkedIn
Marv Hills is a partner in the Crowe LLP private client tax services group and also leads the service delivery team. He joined Crowe in 1981 and specializes in estate planning and tax consulting for high-net-worth individuals, particularly owners of closely held businesses.
Connect with Marv on LinkedIn
Symposium speakers mentioned on the podcast
Other resources mentioned on the podcast
GET MORE SIMPLY TAX
A complete archive of our episodes is available on our website and YouTube playlist.
We’d love to hear from you! Email feedback and questions to SimplyTax@bkd.com.
Connect with Damien on social media!
LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram