SUBSCRIBE: iTunes | Android | RSS
With the prevalence of tax-related identity theft, following good cybersecurity practices is more important than ever. Guests Cindy Boyle and Jan Hertzberg—along with host Damien Martin—discuss the high-security risks businesses face and ways companies can keep their vital tax information safe. Listen to learn:
- What’s ransomware? @ 6:41
- Ways to reduce the risk of a data breach @ 12:03
- What’s a data breach? @ 14:19
- Lessons from Equifax @ 15:40
- Ways to identify email scams @ 19:15
- What to do when you’ve had a data breach @ 24:33
- Tips for keeping your tax information safe during tax season @ 29:35
- The difference between passcodes vs. passwords @ 31:49
- How to find out if someone you work with has had a reported breach @ 33:43
- Things that affect someone’s cyber risk profile @ 36:13
BIOS FOR GUESTS
Cindy Boyle leads BKD’s IT Risk Services division, which comprises professionals in multiple offices across the firm. Her team assists companies with data privacy and security compliance relevant to HIPAA/HITECH/EHR, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council, Federal Trade Commission Red Flag Rules, Health Breach Notification Rules and PCI Data Security Standard.
Connect with Cindy on LinkedIn
Jan Hertzberg has more than 30 years of experience providing IT audit, risk, cybersecurity and privacy compliance services. Prior to joining BKD, Jan held positions with Fortune 100 companies and, most recently, led the cybersecurity/privacy practice for an international public accounting firm, providing services to clients that included national and international companies in the health care, financial services, professional services, not-for-profit, higher education, retail and manufacturing industries.
Follow Jan on Twitter
Connect with Jan on LinkedIn
Learn more about how Cindy and Jan can help develop a plan to protect against unforeseen attacks.
IRS Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft