Guidance Issued on PHI During Crisis
On March 24, 2020, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights (OCR) issued guidance on disclosing protected health information (PHI) during a time of crisis. As we deal with the COVID-19 situation both nationally and internationally, there’s a need for those authorized to work quickly. The circumstances include:
- When disclosing is required to provide treatment
- When notification is required by law
- Notifying a public health authority to prevent the spread of disease
- To protect first responders
- To prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat
View the OCR’s recent article for more guidance.
It’s important to remember that outside the circumstances in the article, PHI is still very sensitive data. Please continue to practice good cybersecurity hygiene and data protection.
As with most topics related to COVID-19, changes are being made rapidly. Please note that this information is current as of the date of publication.
Visit BKD’s COVID-19 Resource Center for more information. If you have questions, reach out to your BKD Trusted Advisor™ or use the Contact Us form below.