Software Selection Project Management
Selecting a new enterprise resource planning (ERP) or customer relationship management (CRM) solution can be a challenge. BKD understands. We’re by your side to help you remain confident when evaluating and selecting a new software solution. We can provide project management assistance and help answer the tough questions about a new solution’s cost and complexity.
With an average of 15 years experience, our consultants are knowledgeable and trained to find the ERP, CRM, industry-specific, human resources management or business intelligence tool you need.
Our five-phase approach lets us assist companies when identifying, evaluating and selecting packaged software alternatives that best suits an organization’s needs and help provide a competitive advantage.
Phase One – Project Plan & System Requirements Document and Request for Information
The objective of this phase is to jointly develop a project plan, assemble the system requirements document (SRD) and prepare a request for information (RFI). We provide assistance developing a project plan, including detail tasks, begin/end target dates, resources and task dependencies.
We also provide assistance developing an RFI. Distribution of the RFI (in Phase II) will include the SRD. Deliverables include the SRD, RFI and a project plan.
1. Assistance to organize and schedule project multiple resources
2. Identify & document needs
3. Develop an objective basis to evaluate functionality
1. Omission of critical system components
2. Omission of input from every functional area
Phase Two – Screen Potential Vendors
The objective of this phase is to identify potential vendor solutions. Deliverables include a short list of vendors, vendor selection criteria and RFI responses.
1. Focus resources on solution alternatives meeting objectives and within budget
2. Avoidance of unproven technologies
1. Consumption of time and resources on incomplete solutions
Phase Three – Vendor Demonstrations
The objective of this phase is to obtain a demonstration of two vendor solutions. Deliverables include demonstration scripts and a scorecard.
1. Obtain a demo based on your needs and requirements
2. Avoid demonstration that is not relevant to your daily operations
3. Track multiple demonstrations with a documented scoring mechanism
1. Consumption of evaluation time on nonessential features
2. Inability to objectively compare multiple vendors
3. Purchase of a solution that is too complicated to implement
Phase Four – Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
The objective of this phase is to estimate a three-year cost of ownership. Activities in this phase include estimating software, equipment and implementation fees; deliverables include TCO and reference call script.
1. Understand the total cost of ownership
2. Understand cash flow requirements of the project
3. Understand other users’ successes and issues with the proposed solution
1. Hidden costs
Phase Five – Solution Presentation
The objective of this phase is to present the preferred solution to executive management. In this phase, you will receive a presentation to executive management.
1. Understanding the implementation effort, required resources and time frame
2. Position stakeholders to make an informed decision
1. Making a poor purchase decision
Implementation Project Management
This process positions BKD to provide implementation project management. Using our On Track software implementation methodology, we can provide assistance managing and monitoring the software installation and configuration, data conversion, end-user training, acceptance testing and cut over to live production. On Track addresses two critical success factors: project communication and containment of scope creep.
“BKD's service is second to none. They understand the critical nature of ‘keeping the accounting department running’ and their responsiveness to issues reflects that understanding. Their depth of accounting and software knowledge provides us with the expertise needed to extract every ounce of value from our systems.”
Vice President - Finance
Saint Paul School of Theology
Kansas City, Missouri
“When we were looking for a firm to help with our SOX compliance, BKD’s industry-specific knowledge and expertise made them the best fit for our firm. They were able to help us better identify our risks and processes to ensure they were mitigated. BKD’s understanding of all aspects of our company allowed us to become not only compliant, but more efficient.”
— Chad Braun,
Chief Financial Officer
“When we were looking for a firm to assist with SOX compliance, a colleague highly referred us to BKD. They were able to help us determine how SOX would affect us and what steps we needed to take in order to be compliant. We enjoyed working with the personable and knowledgeable staff at BKD throughout the process.”
— Brett Treadwell,
Managing Vice President - Finance