The wealth expected to transfer from the baby boomer generation represents a tremendous opportunity for proactive groups. Not-for-profit organizations with a clear mission, solid management, visionary leadership and strong resource networks are most likely to succeed. Our advisors understand the unique issues and needs of associations and membership organizations, foundations, social service agencies and religious institutions.
Not-for-profits need more than a good heart to stay in business. To serve your constituents and fulfill your mission, you need to manage your organization as efficiently and responsibly as a for-profit business.
Though competition for donors and customers is fierce, the trillions of dollars in wealth expected to transfer from the baby boomer generation represents a tremendous opportunity for proactive not-for-profits. In this environment, organizations with a clear mission, solid management, visionary leadership and strong resource networks are most likely to succeed.
BKD National Not-for-Profit Group understands the unique issues and needs of many different types of not-for-profits. For example, we can help:
- Associations and membership organizations deliver value to members, reduce dependency on dues and effectively communicate with members
- Foundations better serve their donors, monitor the performance of grantees and build endowment
- Social service agencies measure the true cost of programs so management can better align resources with mission
- Religious Institutions demonstrate value, provide accountability and build trust in a changing environment
- OMB’s Super Circular 8/14/2014
- An Update on IRS Form 990 2/26/2014
- 2013 AICPA Not-for-Profit A&A Guide 1/15/2014
- Ethics Hotlines: A Key Part of Your Risk Avoidance Strategy 11/13/2013
- Health Care Reform Insurance Overview 8/8/2013
- Tax Update – 2012 Form 990 & Other Tax Topics 3/21/2013
- Transfer Pricing Issues for Tax-Exempt Organizations 12/5/2012
- Financing Incentives Utilizing the New Markets Tax Credit 11/29/2012
- State & Local Tax Trends for Not-for-Profit Organizations 9/27/2012
- Understanding How to Handle Donor Contributions 8/29/2012
- Not-for-Profit Accounting: A High Priority for FASB 9/2014
- Private Company Reporting: Common Control Leasing Arrangements 8/2014
- Private Company Reporting: Accounting for Goodwill 8/2014
- Revenue Recognition: A Comprehensive Look at the New Standard 8/2014
- OMB Super Circular Offers New Guidance for Federal Awards 8/2014
- Alert – How the Camp Reform Draft Affects Not-for-Profit Organizations 7/2014
- Lease Redeliberations in Final Stages 6/2014
- Alert – FASB Issues New Revenue Recognition Standard 5/2014
- April Meeting Shows More Progress Toward Leases Project Convergence 5/2014
- FASB Redefines Discontinued Operations 5/2014
- Colorado Nonprofit Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Colorado
- Ronald McDonald House of Kansas City
“BKD was instrumental in guiding us with their expert tax guidance and a new accounting methodology for our subsidiary. The result was lowering of the tax liability for both organizations and a streamlined, enhanced accounting approach for our subsidiary.
BKD has in-depth experience with non-profits and especially with organizations that may have a for-profit entity as part of their overall company structure. They have a strong expertise in the tax and IT areas, performed soundly with due diligence, and showed solid work ethics.
As our association has grown, so have the complexities of our business. BKD has been very helpful with answers to questions regarding grants and operations, helping us to demonstrate transparency and best practices as we deliver high-level services to the non-profit sector throughout the state of Colorado.”
— Jeannie Nims, Chief Financial Officer
Colorado Nonprofit Association
Our accounting staff are very appreciative of the BKD team, as we can call with questions and have an open dialogue. The BKD CPAs are available and responsive and continue to go above and beyond to meet our expectations.
— Kim White
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Colorado, Inc.
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kansas City has worked with BKD for many years. The audit staff is knowledgeable, pleasant and are available to answer any questions we have. I would recommend BKD to any organization that wants to work with an audit firm that strives for excellence.
— René Larsen
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri