Tax-exempt providers have a lot to consider. BKD has years of experience supporting those in the health care industry with their tax needs—from small rural hospitals to complex multihospital health systems.
As the third largest hospital-paid preparer of 2013 Form 990s, compared to other CPA firms nationwide, our tax professionals have significant regulatory expertise. We understand that virtually every decision you make has tax implications, so reporting accuracy and complete documentation are incredibly important.
Whether you need help with tax preparation, compliance assistance or consulting solutions, our tax team can help.
The procedures generally included in our review are:
- Review of your financial assistance policy (FAP), financial assistance application and FAP plain language summary
- Review of your billing and collections policy, particularly as it relates to financial-eligible patients
- Discussion with your personnel on billing and collections practices for financial assistance-eligible patients
- Review amounts generally billed (AGB) computation
- Review of documentation related to translations of the financial assistance policy and related documents
- Review of your website and Schedule H of Form 990
- Meet with appropriate individuals selected by management to review requirements under Sections 501(r)(4), 501(r)(5) and 501(r)(6) as well as related regulations and discussion of potential issues
To help you determine whether you’ve made the appropriate 501(r)-related documents available to the public, begin by downloading our complimentary checklist in the Tools tab.
If you’d like immediate assistance, reach out to one of our tax advisors in the Contacts tab below.
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
Our CHNA process is designed around the requirements given under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 501(r)(3) for hospitals exempt from taxation under 501(c)(3). Our tax advisors have years of experience performing health needs assessments under various methodologies—including preparation of certificate of need applications and demand analyses—as well as performing operational assessments for hospitals and other health care providers.
Our six-phase CHNA process includes:
- Strategy and planning
- Community research and analysis
- Key informant interviews
- Community health input questionnaire(s)
- Identification and prioritization of community health needs
- Recommendations, IRC Section 501(r) compliance and reporting
Find more information on our CHNA offerings here.
Form 990 Assistance
To help not-for-profit health care providers address challenges associated with IRS Form 990, we developed BKD 990connect. This innovative tool saves time, simplifies the preparation process and allows users to communicate directly with their tax advisor.
With 990connect, you can:
- Compare this year’s information to previous years
- Monitor progress and assign tasks
- View questions only applicable to your organization
- Ask questions and leave comments for your BKD advisor
- Access video tutorials and frequently asked questions
Click here for additional tax-exempt solutions available to you through BKD.
Additional Tax-Exempt Solutions
Are you navigating unrelated business income (UBI)? Conducting a transfer pricing study? Need IRS examination representation? We offer a wide variety of solutions. Learn more at our Tax-Exempt Services page.
Contact us today to see if one of our trusted advisors can help with your unique set of circumstances
Blanchard Valley Health System
“BKD advisors are very knowledgeable, bring value to our business operations, connect accounting and tax rules to our operations and are customer-oriented.”
— Curt Cramer, Director of Finance
Blanchard Valley Health System