Health care providers face myriad regulations and industry issues. With costs and regulatory scrutiny both on the rise, health care organizations must closely monitor costs, revenues and risks. Add to this an aging population and more patients using Medicare and Medicaid services, and the task of successfully providing services can seem overwhelming.
BKD National Health Care Group has approximately 275 advisors and professionals who work with thousands of health care providers, including hospitals, long-term care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, rural health clinics and other health care organizations nationwide. These providers depend on our health care professionals for assurance services, tax advice, financial and strategic planning, financing assistance, compliance issues and reimbursement services.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Does your rural health organization need information on the issues affecting you? Join the National Rural Health Association and BKD, LLP for an informative webinar on rural health issues, including an overview of the 340B drug discount program. Presenters also will discuss issues related to regulatory compliance.
*CPE will not be provided for this NRHA hosted webinar.
BKD Presenters: Brad Brotherton and Steve Parde
- Fraud Prevention Strategies: A Forensic Accountant’s Top 20 List – Health Care 10/16/2013
- The Pros & Cons of Establishing a Palliative Care Program 6/11/2013
- Tax Update – 2012 Form 990 & Other Tax Topics 3/21/2013
- The 2013 Physician Fee Schedule – Analysis & Management 2/27/2013
- The Five Ws of ICD-10 Training & How to Develop a Training Plan 2/13/2013
- Fiscal Cliff Averted: What’s Next for Manufacturers? 1/17/2013
- 2013 Home Health PPS Final Rule: Therapy Reassessments & M1024 Case Mix Codes 12/18/2012
- 2013 Home Health PPS Final Rule: Physician Face-to-Face & Billing Update 12/14/2012
- 2013 Home Health PPS Final Rule: Payment Rate Changes 12/5/2012
- Transfer Pricing Issues for Tax-Exempt Organizations 12/5/2012
- Alert – Schedule H Benchmarking Tools 6/2013
- Alert – May 2013 RAI Manual Changes 5/2013
- Alert – CMS Makes Changes to the MDS Correction Policy 5/2013
- Long-Awaited Disproportionate Share Instructions in the 2014 IPPS Proposed Rule 5/2013
- Alert – IRS Issues Additional CHNA Guidance 4/2013
- Termination of Common Working File to Access Eligibility Information 4/2013
- Alert – Sequestration Impacts on Home Health & Hospice Agencies 4/2013
- Alert – CMS Replacing Common Working File for Medicare Beneficiary Eligibility Inquiries 4/2013
- Alert – An Update on the 340B Drug Discount Program 3/2013
- Alert – CMS Revises Policy on Billing Part B for Inpatient Claim Denials 3/2013
- Revenue Cycle
- Information Technology
- Finance & Strategy
- Medicare Reimbursement
- Audit & Assurance
Health care organizations often face unique and complex tax questions. BKD National Health Care Group can help your organization make sense of changing tax laws that affect health care providers. With their background and training, you’ll experience expertise in the following areas:
- Planning and structuring transactions to strategically manage tax obligations
- Obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status
- Tax liability
- Tax planning
Keeping track of revenues is a challenge for any business, but health care providers in particular may need to manage several different cycles. BKD National Health Care Group can help you experience consistency and peace of mind even as you try to juggle multiple processes. Our expertise can apply to the following:
- Streamlining the revenue cycle process
- Improving documentation and billing realization
- Identifying compliance and revenue improvement opportunities through reviews of charge description masters, APC coding and billing, DRG assignments and concurrent coding
- Identifying and implementing strategies to decrease accounts receivables and improve collections
- Performing managed care payment audits
- Providing billing assistance and outsourcing for long-term care, home health and hospice organizations
The right software choices and technology tools can streamline a health care organization. BKD National Health Care Group can assist your organization in experiencing efficiency. Our well-trained experts can take on the following:
- Strategically evaluating systems based on current and future needs
- Assisting with vendor selection and software and hardware implementation
- Providing HIPAA technology, patient confidentiality and education solutions
- Providing data extraction, security and continuity planning services
We know information technology is a challenge for many health care organizations, but we’re also aware of the opportunities it provides for greater efficiency and effectiveness. For more information on how BKD can help, visit BKD Technologies.
Health care providers have diverse financing and financial planning needs. BKD National Health Care Group can help you experience insight when it comes to managing your current finances and planning your financial future. Our experts can help with the following:
- Preparing prospective financial statements
- Analyzing capital financing alternatives such as traditional bonds or other financing
- Assisting with operating and capital budgets
- Organizing and facilitating leadership retreats
- Preparing strategic business plans
- Identifying clinical service growth priorities
- Preparing debt capacity studies
Medicare and third-party reimbursement issues can be among the most complex and dynamic health care providers face. With BKD National Health Care Group, you can experience peace of mind as you navigate these systems. Our large team of skilled professionals can help in multiple areas, including the following:
- Exploring reimbursement alternatives while preparing interim and year-end cost reports
- Evaluating reimbursement changes created by constantly changing laws and regulations
Health care providers need auditors who understand health care operations and risk. BKD National Health Care Group performs audits for thousands of health care providers nationwide. Our clients range from multifacility health systems with more than $2 billion in revenues to critical access hospitals, rural hospitals, community health centers, long-term care facilities, home care agencies and other health care providers. Our extensive background in both audit and assurance will let you experience leadership and expertise.
BKD’s auditors are trained to address such specific health care risk areas including:
- Accounts receivable valuations
- Third-party settlements
- Malpractice reserves
- Investment valuation
- Revenue recognition
- Internal controls
- Employee benefit plans
The BKD Corporate Finance team did an excellent job representing the financial interest of McCune-Brooks Regional Hospital in the transaction. The Board of the city-owned, not-for-profit hospital had a fiduciary duty to ensure long-term access to health care in the community. Although we knew who the likely party was going to be in the transaction, BKDCF used their expertise in health care transactions to negotiate the financial components of the transaction from a position of strength. The BKDCF team did an excellent job managing the process, helping to achieve an outcome that was approved unanimously by the Board.
— Doug Culver, CFO
McCune-Brooks Regional Hospital
I have used BKD at two different facilities for a full range of financial services. Their professionals have provided us with audit, tax, coding and billing and cost report services and have assisted us in operations management and revenue enhancement. Routinely, implementation of their recommendations had a positive influence on the financial outcomes of our programs.
— Brooks Miller, Executive Director
Jordan Valley Community Health Center
The people at BKD are a great asset. Our advisor is easy to work with and very knowledgeable. He is accessible and takes the time to teach and advise, showing he really cares about our business.
— Mina Acquaye, Chief Executive Officer
Excell Home Care
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Catholic Health Partners is an important client—that’s the clear message I get from BKD. From partner interaction to the hands-on involvement and accessibility of senior-level and other personnel, theirs is an adept team effort that works very well. They are highly responsive to our needs. I also appreciate the wide range of BKD services I can use for more complex business issues.
— Scott D. Schitter, CPA
Corporate Director of Reimbursement & Tax Services
Catholic Health Partners