We assist a variety of government groups, including tribal governments and gaming operations, federal and state agencies, public utilities and power agencies, airports and transportation authorities. Our advisors can help with fiscal accountability, resource management, performance management, budgeting and debt administration.
As a government official, you recognize governmental organizations must demonstrate they are responsible stewards of public funds. In today’s environment, you face the daily challenge of managing resources while providing cost-effective services that meet the needs of the public.
BKD National Governmental Group members understand the unique issues and needs of various different government entities. For example, we help:
- Municipal and state governing bodies determine the most effective way to deliver services and meet fiduciary and regulatory compliance requirements
- Airports and other transportation authorities fulfill their role as responsible stewards of public funds through revenue enhancement, cost containment, strategic positioning, resource management, accounting, audit and tax services
- Public power and utility providers attain their strategic goals through the application of innovative, practical solutions and best practices
- Tribal governments effectively operate their expanding businesses, protect the tribe’s investments and manage the gaming industry’s regulatory challenges
- GASB 61: The Financial Reporting Entity Omnibus 11/13/2012
- Understanding How to Handle Donor Contributions 8/29/2012
- GASB Proposed Changes to Pension Reporting 2/2/2012
- Risk Management & Cloud Security: Setting & Enforcing Policy 1/26/2012
- Fraud & Embezzlement: Lessons from the Trenches 12/7/2011
- Implementing the New Governmental Fund Balance Reporting Standards 8/24/2011
- Tax Treatment & Rules for Fringe Benefits 8/18/2011
- Public Sector Audit Committee1/19/2011
- Fraud Detection & Prevention: Finding Needles in a Haystack4/8/2009 & 9/16/2009
- Internal Fraud & Embezzlement9/19/2007
- Component Units: Financial Benefit or Burden? 6/2013
- GASB Statement No. 65 Means More Changes in Governmental Financial Reporting 3/2013
- GFOA Certificate of Conformance Program Recognizes Small Governments 3/2013
- OMB Wants Input on Proposals to Reform Grant & Cooperative Agreement Policies 2/2013
- GASB Significantly Changes Pension Accounting & Reporting 8/2012
- Significant 2013 & 2014 Business Tax Implications of Health Care Reform 7/2012
- GASB Issues Statement No. 63 5/2012
- OMB Wants Your Input on Proposed Changes to the Single Audit Act 3/2012
- Aurora Public Schools
- Cherokee Nation
- Metropolitan Airports Commission
- City and County of Denver
- Heartland Consumers Power District
While maintaining their independence, the BKD accountants have gotten to know our operations. They understand how changes in the accounting standards will affect our financials, leading to a thorough and credible audit that puts to rest the minds of school district leaders.
— Adrienne Bradshaw
Aurora Public Schools
BKD’s technical expertise in both tribal government and business is valuable to the Cherokee Nation. Their attention to detail and responsiveness exceeds expectations.
— Lacey A. Horn
I have been pleased with BKD’s detailed approach as it relates to our external audit function. BKD validated a number of concerns of our department and agreed such concerns need to be addressed.
The engagement team brings airport industry expertise, and we have benefited from their knowledge and experience. The team is responsive and candid with MAC management, bringing a fresh perspective with their substantive approach to the audit. BKD’s timely consultations and management letter will help MAC’s leadership and board enhance controls and provide an accurate and credible report to the public.
— Michael Willis, Assistant Director - Internal Audit
Minneapolis Saint Paul Metropolitan Airports Commission
BKD's personnel from staff to partner that I've worked with are very professional and consider the operations and timelines of the agency personnel in their planning. They are willing to discuss issues and accounting treatments in an open method while ensuring that the standards are met. The comments and recommendations are helpful and have assisted the city in making improvements.
— Beth Machann, City Controller
City and County of Denver
Heartland hired BKD, LLP after using a Big Four firm for many years. Heartland has experienced BKD’s commitment to excellence first hand and our Board of Directors and staff are glad we transitioned to BKD. BKD’s personnel have brought a level of utility experience, integrity, and professional demeanor at standards we did not experience before. BKD responds to our questions in a timely manner and openly discusses accounting treatments to ensure the best course of action is taken and accounting standards met. Heartland looks forward to a continued successful relationship with BKD and highly recommends them to anyone in the utility industry.
— Mike Malone, Financial Operations Manager
Heartland Consumers Power District
Madison, South Dakota