Important Access Information for All IACS Users
Author: Camille Lockhart
Attention to all Medicare providers filing a cost report: Users must act by January 30, 2015, to reduce challenges in receiving their Provider Statistical & Reimbursement Report (PS&R) this year.
The system through which providers currently retrieve their PS&Rs no longer will be hosted by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services - Individuals Authorized for Access to CMS Computer Systems (CMS-IACS); that system will be replaced by a new platform called Enterprise Identity Management (EIDM) effective February 9, 2015.
Existing IACS accounts will be transitioned to EIDM. However, the security questions and answers currently set in IACS will not be part of the transition to the new platform. CMS strongly encourages all PS&R users to log in to their IACS account prior to January 30, 2015, to establish a new password. Passwords expire every 60 days, so for users to have an active password before the transition, it’s imperative to log in and change the password.
During the transition period between January 30 and February 9, IACS access will be affected in several ways. Although access to the PS&R will still be available to existing IACS accounts during this period, individuals will not be able to create new IACS accounts. Changes to existing IACS accounts will be allowed but will not be transferred to the new EIDM accounts. These effects may result in challenges for existing and prospective users in maintaining PS&R access if several basic steps are not followed.
CMS makes the following recommendations.
- Know your user ID and password for IACS and ensure you can successfully log in prior to Friday, January 30, at 5 p.m. Eastern time.
- Reset your password if you believe it might expire during the transition period.
- Contact the Helpdesk to obtain approval for any pending requests prior to Friday, January 30, at 5 p.m.
- Review your profile to ensure the information listed is appropriate prior to Friday, January 30, at 5 p.m.
- Register for a new user ID, make changes to your user profile or submit any requests in IACS if your requests cannot be approved prior to Friday, January 30, at 5 p.m.
- Register for a new user ID in EIDM; your user ID and password will be transferred “as is” on Friday, January 30, after 5 p.m., and any additional registrations in the EIDM system will hinder your access to the new system.
We highly recommend all PS&R users log in to their IACS account prior to January 30, 2015, and change their password. Users should go to the IACS system, log in and select the “Change Password” option. Updating your password now will help avoid the need to contact External User Services for assistance with a password change when EIDM is available on February 9, 2015.
CMS has noted PS&Rs may be inaccessible during part of the transition from January 30 to February 9 and will release further communication on that possibility in the future. Due to this issue and the general uncertainty that comes with transitioning computer systems, we recommend anyone who needs a PS&R before the end of February should run one as soon as possible. This will provide a backup in the case of unforeseen problems with the transition.
For more information on how this change could affect you or your organization, contact your BKD advisor.